As energy prices go up, we are all looking for ways to save money while staying comfortable. Energy conservation is the practice of decreasing the quantity of energy used. This can be achieved through efficient energy use, or by reduced consumption of energy services. Energy conservation results in reduced energy costs, increased environmental value, and human comfort.
In this guide you will find tips for saving energy and money at home, office, and for transportation. Some of the tips are easy enough to do, while others may require more effort and investment, but promise big savings over the years.
- A heavy coat of dust on a light bulb can block up to half of the light.
- Across America, home refrigerators use the electricity of 25 large power plants every year.
- A hot water faucet that leaks one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month. That's more than one person uses in two weeks.
- An energy-smart clothes washer can save more water in one year than one person drinks in an entire lifetime!
- When you turn on an incandescent light bulb, only 10 percent of the electricity used is turned into light. The other 90 percent is wasted as heat.
- A compact fluorescent light bulb uses 75 percent less energy than a regular bulb – and it can last up to four years.
- A crack as small as 1/16th of an inch around a window frame can let in as much cold air as leaving the window open three inches!
- Some new refrigerators are so energy-smart they use less electricity than a light bulb!
- An automatic dishwasher uses less hot water than doing dishes by hand - an average of six gallons less, or more than 2,000 gallons per year.
- Every time you open the refrigerator door, up to 30 percent of the cold air can escape.
- Every year, more than $13 billion worth of energy leaks from houses through small holes and cracks. That’s more than $150 per family!
- Energy Star A great resource for everything energy.
- Energy Savers A guide to saving energy at home, business, vehicle, or industrial plant.
- U.S. Departement of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Departement of Energy. Up-to-date energy saving tips and information.
- Energy Saving Now Energy saving tips and information.
- Wikipedia Energy Conservation Information.